Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Latest from the Bird Front

Today was fledging day for the bluebirds. Of the three hatchlings in the house, I saw one make his "maiden" flight this afternoon with neither parent in sight. He suddenly appeared at the door, popped himself out and flew into a neighboring tree. I could see him sitting there trying to keep his balance on the swaying branch. The unaccustomed movement kept him fluttering for several minutes. But his Papa soon found him and gave him a snack and he was able to settle down.
There is still at least one hatchling left in the nest. I think one must have fledged before I noticed, and this one simply could not make up his mind to go in spite of his parents' coaxing. He sat in the doorway for a very long time, but just couldn't get up the courage to leave. At one point during his decision making, it began to rain, and I'm sure that confused and intimidated him along with everything else. At dusk he was still inside. I don't know if he finally left or has decided to stay inside one more night!
I will open the house sometime tomorrow morning if I see no activity at the nest box. I'm sure he'll be okay, but I'm always concerned until I know they've all fledged successfully.

2 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

How exciting to see them off into the wide world. I saw some fledgings of blackbirds this morning in our garden. At first I thought it was dead in the grass but when I went closer to it it hopped away into the hedge.

JudiA said...

Oh, another successful nesting! I do wish I could see something like that.