Sunday, September 12, 2010

Awwwwww!

They flew away yesterday, and I miss them! But it's nice to know that we had 12 new babies added to the bluebird population from our birdhouse this summer. These last four babies fledged on two consecutive days, Sept. 10th and 11th. Fitting that they hatched on my birtday, August 24, and fledged on our national day of mourning, Sept. 11. I was fortunate (and determined enough) to see all four of these sweeties make their first flights, and it was delightful. They flew off in several different directions, two into the trees, one over the garage, and one up on the roof top! So I'm hoping that Mom and Pop were able to gather them all together eventually....I'm sure they did.
I cleaned the house thoroughly for next season, although the parent birds kept the nest pretty clean this time. All that was left in it were remnants of a green insect of some sort and a small grasshopper or katydid that didn't appeal to the babies palates I guess. They did apparently devour the large slug that Pop wrestled on the deck railing trying either to kill it or bite it into smaller pieces to give to the babies. I watched and chuckled at him for at least five minutes during that struggle. He finally gave up and gave it to them whole and they must have liked it because there was nothing left of it in the nest!
I'm sad that they're gone, but very happy that all went off successfully! I tried to get pictures, but they just popped out too quickly for me to catch them.....must get a bird cam!

3 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

That's wonderful news, Mary, although I understand why you would miss them.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Mary,

I am Back! :) So sorry I didn't have time to check your Blog. But here I am and it is great to hear that 12 bluebirds were born on your property. It must have been wonderful to see them all leave safe and sound. :) I know you will miss them but I am sure your Bluebird Hotel will have new guests staying really soon! LOL
I just uploaded a few things to my blog so please visit and leave a comment. I have missed them.
Hugs

Fran said...

I know you miss them. It's so nice watching them from day to day.
I have 2 hummingbirds that stay here year round. They have been around for a few years now. I'm so glad, I love watching them and feeding them. Vegas weather makes them stay here year round.
Hugs, Fran